Wednesday 24 April 2013

Look the Part

On Wednesdays, I wear my glasses so I can read the board when helping with grade 3.  I don't teach many kids on Wednesdays, so not many non-grade-3 kids see me with the glasses on.  This 11-yr-old girl obviously hadn't seen them before.

Girl: You...'ve got glasses.
Me: Yep.
Girl: Everyone is getting glasses.
Me: Are you getting them?
Girl: No.  My eyesight is really great.  Unlike my mum's, and my dad's...
Me: Well, I was the last person in my family to get them.
Girl [shocked]: What?!?! Really?  Oh...  Anyway, you look like a real teacher now. [She gasped.  I smiled.  She tried to backpedal].  Oh no!  I mean... I mean... You know...
Me: I know what you mean.  It's just the way it came out.
Girl: It's just... You look like, oh, you know, like, um... [she then gave a demonstration of a teacher in front of a slightly rowdy class].
Me [smiling]: Ah... Yes... 
Girl: More serious.  That's it.
Me: You think?  I'm feeling like I look like a crazy lady today.
Girl: Are you kidding?!  You look even more like a teacher in that outfit, all professional in the jacket, and the blue, and the white, and the... blue... and the ... grey... [looks up and grins]
Me: Well, thank you.

And every time I wrote something, she'd say "You look all serious again!" like this was a new trick I'd learned.  I hope she'll still take me seriously when I'm not wearing the glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment